In order to get my house spring time ready, last week, I worked on cleaning out our 11 closets including the linen closet and this week I worked on our 4 full bathrooms. I wanted to freshen them up and repair any little details that get over looked in daily life, especially in our master bathroom.
When we bought this house 2 years ago, the master bathroom came with this industrial, rustic vanity:
It looks cool, but I quickly discovered that it’s completely impractical. This piece would have worked much better in a guest bath. First of all, there’s no storage other than a shelf. I mean, who wants all their bathroom stuff out in the open on on a shelf? Second of all, the wood really takes a beating from sink water and all the bathroom products. It had really started to look ruff. I know it’s supposed to look rustic and all but it was too much. The wood was looking dull with water damaged and the faucet was covered in hard water stains. Yuk. It was pretty much a mess and needed some serious t.l.c.
So…here’s how I gave it a face lift.
First, I sanded the entire thing with an electric hand sander. I was a little ( OK, a lot) nervous about this step because if I messed it up, I was in big trouble! So, I just went easy. I sanded off the varnish and smoothed out any damage. After I cleaned up all the dust from the bathroom (the sanding was super messy) and wiped the entire vanity down down. Then I went over it about 10 times with Liquid Gold floor restore. I would coat it with a damp sponge, let it dry to the touch and then coat it again. I did this all day until it looked right to me.
Now, it’s all shiny and pretty again
The next thing I had to do was address the medicine cabinet.
Now, I’m not a fan of medicine cabinets. It drives me crazy how everything always falls out of them into the sink. All the time. It’s so annoying. I prefer a drawer, but this vanity doesn’t have any. What this bathroom does have however, is a beautiful (i.e. really expensive) medicine cabinet that the previous owners installed. And I broke it. Ooops.
I didn’t really break the whole thing, but I did break the mirror on the inside. How in the world does someone do that, you ask? Well, it involved a perfume bottle the cabinet door and maybe a glass or two of wine. An innocent, unfortunate accident.
Luckily my husband was able to use some duct tape, a heat gun and fishing line to remove the broken mirror. Now we just have to order a new piece of glass and not a whole new cabinet. Whew!
Finally, the sink faucet and shower hardware.
They are a lovely Oil Rubbed Bronze finish. The problem is, that because of having well water, they had a film of hard water stain on them that no amount of cleaning could remove. I used a toothbrush and every kind of product that I could think of and scrubbed them within an inch of their life. Nothing worked. They were clean alright, but that film just wouldn’t come off. So…I painted them.
To make this easy (rather than have my husband take all the pieces off the shower wall and out of the sink) I bought spray paint in the same Oil Rubbed Bronze color, sprayed a small amount at a time into a plastic container and used a small brush to apply it. If you want to try this, just know that spray paint dries fast, so just keep spraying enough into your container to make a small puddle and apply it with your brush before it dries.
It’s so nice to have the little things that you overlook on a daily basis repaired or updated!
This weekend, my plan is to repaint the stairs and walls to the cellar. I’m pretty sure this has only been done once since the house was built in the 50’s, so it’s much needed!
I’ll share my results with that project next week. Have a great weekend!